Instructor Video: Suggestion and Obligation in Urdu
In previous chapter, you have learned that چاہئیے “need” is used to express the need. چاہئیے “need” always takes subjects with کو .
- -مجھے کتابیں چاہییں “I need books.”
- آپ کو کیا چاہئیے؟ “What do you need?”
- -سب کو پیسےچاہییں “All need money.”
However, when چاہئیے “need” comes with a verb, it expresses suggestions and obligations.
- -آپ کو اپنا کام کرنا چاہئیے “You should do your work.”
- -سب کو اردو میں گفتگو کرنا چاہئیے “All should converse in Urdu.”
- -آپ کو اپنے والدین کا احترام کرنا چاہئیے “You should/ought to respect your parents.”
- -اب مجھے گھر جانا چاہئیے “Now, I should go home.”
(a) Imagine that you and your friends are planning a trip to a tourist place. Please make a list of 10 things that you need and 10 things that you should do. (Hints: Please use “noun + چاہئیے ” for things that you need, and “verb + چاہئیے ” for things that you should do.)
(b) Imagine that you met a freshman who wants to know what to do and what not to do in college level classes. Please make a list of five things that you think s/he should or should not do.
(c) In a group of two or three friends who are learning Urdu, please discuss how you can further improve your Urdu language skills. Please make a list of 10 suggestions that you and your friends should be doing to improve your Urdu language skills.